These tofu wraps are delicious, with quite a ‘meaty’ taste, texture and appearance, and the tofu can be seasoned in loads of different ways. There’s no pressing required, so the whole recipe only takes about 20 minutes!
We made these wraps as a kind of vegan kebab alternative to go with chips from the chippy, but you could add healthier side dishes, or just have a wrap alone as a lighter meal.
The tofu in this recipe is made according to this video from The Vegan Zombie on YouTube. If you don’t want to watch the video, just follow the directions below:
- Block of extra firm tofu (we used Cauldron)
- Chilli powder
- Dried Basil
- Hot sauce (we used Sriracha mixed with ketchup)
- Cut block of tofu lengthways into 4 thin slabs.
- Place tofu slabs into a frying pan of hot oil (we used vegetable).
- Season with salt, pepper and paprika.
- Pop a metal pan lid on top of the tofu slabs to press them down, and fry for 8 – 10 minutes on a medium heat.
- Flip tofu, and sprinkle with salt, chilli powder, cumin, dried basil, and hot sauce (we used ketchup mixed with Sriracha).
- Fry this side for 3 – 4 minutes, then flip again.
- Turn off the heat and allow tofu to sit for a minute.
- Slice diagonally into strips with a sharp knife.
You could use this tofu in loads of different ways, but read on if you’d like to see exactly how we assembled our wraps.
- Tofu strips
- Tortilla wraps
- Salad (we used lettuce, tomato, cucumber and onion)
- Sweet chilli sauce
- Garlic mayo (vegan mayo and garlic powder)
- Thinly shred lettuce, and chop tomato, cucumber and onion into small pieces.
- Fill wrap with salad, and top with tofu slices.
- Drizzle with sweet chilli sauce and garlic mayo, wrap up, and enjoy.
If you have leftover tofu strips, they can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge, and are delicious in sandwiches, on salads, with pasta or rice, or as a pizza topping.
Enjoyed this recipe? Check out our Easy Lazy Vegan Taco Recipe too!Tags: Recipe, tofu, vegan